Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hairspray Manila- Atenean Madel Ching takes the lead!


I first saw this girl in Blue Rep's High School Musical. If I remember correctly, she was the girl that was part of the nerd clique but secretly loved dancing. My first impression upon seeing her was, "Man, that girl can move!" I went on to see her in other BlueRep productions and always enjoyed her performances, though most were not really lead roles.

There was something about her energy onstage that just caught one's attention. Then I encountered her again during the general assembly of INTACT (Introduction to Ateneo Culture and Tradition a.k.a. ADMU-Freshman Homeroom) homeroom advisers and student facilitators. She was part of the SF core and facilitated some ice-breakers. Her enthusiasm was unbelievable and she was just as bubbly in person as the roles she's played onstage.

Our last encounter was when she facilitated the INTACT community-building activities. I was giving my students some snacks and overheard she was hungry (o nagpaparinig ba siya noon? hehe). I gave her a cupcake, for which she was very grateful.

When my friends and I heard that Atlantis was holding auditions for Hairspray, we thought of people who would best fit the roles. Some of our dream cast members: Bituin Escalante as Motormouth Maybelle, Fritz Infante as Edna Turnblad, Menchu Lauchengco-Yulo or Cherie Gil as Velma, AND Madel as Tracy Turnblad. I didn't know her personally, but I did hope she auditioned as I believe the role would really suit her.

August 2008- the cast for Hairspray Manila was revealed and I was ecstatic to find out that Madel DID get in and WILL get her big break as TRACY! We also got Menchu as Velma. Other familiar names in there: Dulce as Motormouth, Leo Rialp as Wilbur, Micheal de Mesa as Edna, Nyoy Volante as Seaweed, Tim Espinosa as Link, and Noel Rayos as Corny Collins.

If you do get to read this one way or another, Madel, congratulations! I'm sure you'll wow us all with your moves and vocals. Really proud of you- I hope you do a great job and make it big. And don't forget that Ateneo teacher who gave you the cupcake during the CBA when that happens.

----

FULL ARTICLE FROM PHILIPPINE STAR (seen at hairspraymanila.blogspot.com)


The big girl & the heartthrob
DIRECTLINE By Boy Abunda
Monday, August 18, 2008


Atlantis Productions' highly-anticipated production of the Tony award-winning musical Hairspray has found its two lead stars, Tim Espinosa and Madel Ching who will play the highly-coveted roles of Link Larkin and Tracy Turnblad.

Like most Tracy Turnblads before her, Madel will be making her professional stage debut in Hairspray. She is a junior at Ateneo de Manila majoring in AB Political Science. Having performed in school productions including High School Musical. Madel is thrilled to take on her first major role. She says, "Girls like me don't get opportunities like this! Honestly, I feel like I'm the modern-day Filipina version of Tracy. A big girl with big dreams. It's a little scary to take on a role this big, but I'm really looking forward to taking on the challenge of playing a character with this much spirit and energy!"

Madel fully understands the discipline needed to take on a role like Tracy, so she continues her regular voice classes with Cynthia Guico and will also be taking dance classes to build up stamina for the role.

Tim takes on the role of heartthrob Link Larkin, made famous in the film by Zach Efron. Tim has been seen on ABS-CBN as a singer, dancer and actor and will also be making his professional stage debut. Tim says, "I am thrilled about everything. Hairspray entails singing, acting and dancing. I can't wait to do all three at the same time! I'm sure it will be fun from start to finish."

Tim's dreams for the future include making films and possibly a recording. He says, "I'd love to be in a movie someday, make my own music album one day, win an Oscar, own a home. Or if none of those happen, I want to take a ride in the dryer!"

Hairspray is about Tracy who wins a spot on the local TV dance program The Corny Collins Show. The big girl with big hair and big dreams becomes a teen celebrity overnight. Soon Tracy finds herself pitted against the show's reigning princess for the title Miss Teenage Hairspray 1962. Based on the John Waters film, Hairspray is the winner of eight Tony awards including Best Musical. It was recently made into a hit film starring John Travolta, Michelle Pfeiffer and Queen Latifah.

Hairspray is directed by Bobby Garcia, choreography by Cecile Martinez, sets and costumes by Gino Gonzales, and lighting design by Shoko Matsumoto

5 comments:

ESSQUARED said...

I am selling tickets to the first Saturday, November 15, 2008, 8:00 p.m. showing of Hairspray Manila. For ticket reservations or other inquiries, please contact me, Stef, at 0917.805.5893 or visit http://hairspraymanila.blogspot.com. Get your tickets now because good seats are running out fast!

Anonymous said...

Hi There!

I am selling tickets to 2 shows of Hairspray the Musical.

November 14 (Opening Night)
November 23 (Sunday)

Tickets are at 1200, 1000, 800 and 600.

For ticket inquiries and reservations, you may email me at song1@jnjph.jnj.com or text me (+63917-8735412).

You may also log on to www.manilatheater.wordpress.com for more details.

Reserve early so you can get good seats.

Free delivery in certain areas within Metro Manila.

--- Stewart

Anonymous said...

Tickets for the NOVEMBER 21, FRIDAY, 8PM show now available at 09175366832 or 09227544571. Reserve now for good seats!!!

Anonymous said...

Tickets for the NOVEMBER 21, FRIDAY, 8PM show now available at 09175366832 or 09227544571. Reserve now for good seats!!!

Armil@hairspray tickets said...

Oh! I love this one! It is a must see Broadway production! and its worth it of everything!