Saturday, April 4, 2009

When the cast of Putnam County Spelling Bee does Spring Awakening

Here's something to tie up the current and the upcoming productions of Atlantis.

This is an old clip from the 2007 Gypsy of the Year. The event is the culmination of a year-long fund-raising competition between the casts/crews of the different Broadway productions. During this night, they usually perform parodies of a broadway production (sometimes, even in teams).

It's a piece by the cast of The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee with their own version of Spring Awakening's "The Bitch of Living", this time called "The Bitch of Aging".

The choreography matches the original and they end with the Gap ad of the Spring Awakening kids. Fun!




The Bitch of Aging (Lyrics off YouTube by user TinorialPeredhil)

God, I used to feel so young, man
Playing kids from sea to sea
And I got so damn excited
To play a kid in Spelling Bee
Thought [we had hit our big corner] playing kids here on Broadway
Then I saw Spring Awakening, and now I have to say

Those kids are real kids, man
Under twenty and below
How can I compete with that when I try and do my show
They shave their heads and wear carnations
I think that's unfair
Since I have to wear a wig because I'm losing all my hair

{It's the Bitch of Aging}
The bitch - just the bitch
[Those kids are so damn young]
Just the bitch, yeah
(It's the bitch of aging - we're not the young ones any more}
I went to college, studied theater, got my BMA degree
Now I'm well into my twenties; no Spring Awakening for me

Yeah they made us feel so old
But it really must be said:
Think how they must feel at Rent now
They might as well be dead.

It's the Bitch of Aging
{Bitch uh uh uh}
Those kids are so damn young
{Kids are so damn young}
Just the Bitch of Aging
Asking 'What went wrong?!'
Where the hell'd they find them?
Oh who knows?

We're the youngest in the cast, man
And it's really is bizarre

We're too old for Spring Awakening
But too young to rent a car

I'm not too old to be edgy
Yeah I would show both boobs

And I'd show my Vagina
It even comes with pubes

It's the Bitch of Aging
{It's the Bitch of Aging}
I'm already thirty three
{Thirty three}
I can't even play a kid now in my own show Spelling Bee
{It's the Bitch of Aging!}
Those kids are so young man!
Just wait 'til they're my age!
[And then those spring chickens are gonna take our jobs]
[God I'm old! I'm so old!]
[background lyrics]
They can't be gone.

And now we're closing so we're
Totally fucked!


The original Spring Awakening cast performing "The Bitch of Living"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That SO just made my week.