Thursday, March 12, 2009

Cinemalaya's Jay on DVD and the LS Awards for the Arts

After our Biochem group meeting last Wednesday, I rushed to Escaler Hall to catch whatever was left of the LS Awards for the Arts. I try to attend this event every year since it's always well-planned and the performances are something to look forward to. May production-value talaga kung galing sa School of Humanities (which I consider a second home, due to my Minor degree in German Studies and my love for theater.)


Would you believe this is Escaler Hall?!


Grand production: With gap music, presentors, and telepromters, gusto yatang kalabanin ang Oscars every year.


When I entered Escaler, which was unrecognizable with the set and the lighting, Francis Xavier Pasion was already giving his response after being given an award for his achievement in direction, particularly for the award-winning film "Jay".


Francis Xavier Pasion giving his acceptance speech


Francis, a true-blue Atenean, thanked the school and all his mentors (from ADMU and ABS-CBN) for shaping him into the film-maker he is today. At one point, he addressed his father, who never got the chance to attend any of his Ateneo graduations, and told him, "Natutuwa akong narito kayo ngayon para makita kung gaano ako kamahal ng Ateneo."

He then shared a quote from his assistant director, telling us to remember only two things in any artistic endeavor: service and humility. "Lahat ng sining na ginagawa natin ay hiram lamang." Spoken like a true Atenean, Francis. Congratulations on all your achievements!

I didn't have time to finish the entire event since I had a 6pm class so I stepped out of Escaler immediately. On my way back to the Chemistry Building, I passed by a table and guess what they were selling? DVD's of "Jay" prepared by the director himself, with nice packaging to boot! They sold it at P200 each and gave away free posters as well. I ended up getting three copies (for myself, Zos, and Martin) and had them signed by Francis and Baron via the LFC (Loyola Film Circle) peeps. Getting that limited edition of the DVD (director's cut without subtitles) really made my day. I can't wait for his next film.


Congratulations to the other student awardees as well! Hope to see more of your work in the future.

-----------

Not familiar with "Jay"? Check out these posts:
-McVie's review
-Cinemalaya review and Film plug by Gibbs Cadiz
-Cinemalaya article from the Inquirer by Lito Zulueta

An aside:
Jay was actually shown in Saarbruecken, Germany the week before I arrived. there There was a mini CineFilipino festival, which Kookie totally missed.

No comments: