Monday, October 15, 2007

New Addiction: His Dark Materials


Since Harry Potter is done (How long 'til the encyclopedia, Jo?!). I've been looking for new easy reads on the fantasy/sci-fi side. I got a copy of a collection of Philip K. Dick short stories (Human Is?) and have gone through some of them. Philip K. Dick is a great writer-- interesting and scary how he conceptualized his futuristic plots and died a year before I was born. (FYI- the films Blade Runner, Minority Report, Paycheck, A Scanner Darkly, and Next are all based on his stories). I wanted something more substantial, at least in terms of scope and length.

I saw the trailer of The Golden Compass recently and was intrigued on what book it was based. Good thing Oui here was a Philip Pullman fangirl and raved about the series. Visited Fully Booked one evening, saw a really nice (and cheap) paperback edition, and bought it. The first two chapters weren't very engaging, but when Lyra, the lead girl, began to travel, I couldn't put the book down! I finished it early one morning and just had to buy the last two books that day. I still don't think it'll top my Harry Potter fanaticism, but it may just be too early to tell.
Hopefully, I finish the series this week.
Funny story too- I was calling different bookstores to ask if they had the next two books. Let me just say that it was a challenge every time I asked for "The SUBTLE Knife". May isang hindi talaga ma-process yung silent "B" at paulit-ulit ako tinanong. Hay. Hindi ko alam kung malulungkot ako o ano.
If you haven't read the Dark Materials series, start now! Great twists await. Plus the film comes out first week of December. If you have read it, wait for me. Then let's talk.







No comments: